Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sleeping Beauty Cake

It’s my niece’s 5th birthday and she has requested for a Sleeping Beauty Cake. I honestly had no clue how Sleeping Beauty looks like! Googled some pictures and decided that her gown (with long sleeves!) are just too outdated.

So I decided to just stick to the colors and modified the dress a little. And chose a tried-and-tested-and-loved Chocolate Peppermint Butter Cake as the base.

I actually liked the dress because it really accentuated her curves hehe… and I wanted to try my hand on making drapes with fondant.

By the way this was the first time I used ready-made fondant. It was easy to work with. Taste wise – no different, if not better than those that I made from scratch. Of course it’s a lot more expensive, but I only needed half a packet to cover a doll cake. And the amount of time saved… definitely worth it!

This is only my second attempt in making doll cake and sad to say, I don’t think I have improved – the folds on the skirt seemed better/smoother in my first attempt. But design wise I prefer the second attempt.

Sadly, both the cakes turned out to be so dry… the recipes work perfectly well in normal moulds or cupcakes but not in this inverted pyramid mould – I had to bake the cake longer to ensure it’s completely cooked. It is disappointing because the cake looked beautiful but the cake was not something I would eat, personally. I’m quite sure the guests felt the same but was just too polite to tell me.


Shall try another recipe for the base till I get it right. I believe in perfection – my cakes must look AND taste good :)

On another note, thank goodness the red dots have faded from my legs without me making any adjustments to my lifestyle or diet! Please don’t come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment