Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Should I quit?

After my ligament was fixed, I was happily attending 2-4 yoga classes a week. I felt I was back to my form. I was glad that I could now go back to my routine.

Then 3 weeks back, I noticed some bleeding under my skin on both my legs… and they never subsided. I got worried and went to see a GP. She even took my blood to check on my platelet count, but concluded that my blood was normal. So she referred me to a dermatologist.

Dermatologist concluded that I have Capillaritis - Capillaritis is characterized by leakage of red blood cells from small, superficial blood vessels that results in pinpoint-like hemorrhages (petechiae). Capillaritis is frequently found in patients with long periods of extended standing related to their occupations. A skin hypersensitivity reaction, salicylates and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the most commonly associated origins of capillaritis, though the precise cause is unclear. Capillaritis is usually a life-long condition, flaring intermittently. (File pic - NOT my legs)
The most common location for capillaritis is the leg, though it may manifest on the trunk and upper extremities.
This is my fat leg. With DOTS. Multiple DOTS.

The dermatologist asked if I have done anything new, did I walk or stand too long, did I take different supplements. I told her I have not been doing or eating anything new. Just my usual routine of morning walk and yoga. She thought it was hard to believe. She even asked me if there were new poses that I have attempted. Nope.

I have been active in yoga again for 2 months now. But these symptoms only started to show in the last 3 weeks. And I have not been straining my legs – I believe – unless you tell me doing a bound lotus is bursting my capillaries! What a scary thought. But I didn’t feel any discomfort when I went into the pose. What else? I have been doing more arm balances and headstands – doesn’t that relieve the stress on my legs? The usual warrior poses and sun salutations should not be contributing to this. And pilates?? No – we focused on core strength! So what is the problem??

The saddest thing is that – there’s NO CURE. No medication, no lotion. I just have to wait for them to fade, if ever… they are like bruises, according to her. But sometimes there will be permanent “stains” left by the iron in the blood.

I’m so sad. I don’t have beautiful legs to begin with, and now there might be permanent marks on both my fair and smooth legs… how cruel is that…

I’ve decided to take 1 week break from yoga and see if there’s any improvement. Sigh… should I even think of quitting? Just when I thought my body is ready.

And the emptiness I feel at work is slowly eating into me. I have yet to hear any positive response from any party. And I have been gobbling chunks of chocolates – no joke. It has to be a combination of PMS and the frustration at work. How can I breakaway from being an emotional eater?? Yoga was supposed to help me. But now, even yoga is not exactly on my side. SIGH. Why is everything so gloomy this year?? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment